What is Malware?
Malware, short for malicious software, is a type of software that can damage your computer and the files stored on it. The term malware includes computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and a lot more. All these software are made with the intention to harm your computer so if you think your computer has contracted any of these, you should have it checked right away!
Types of Malware
Although different types of malware are often mistermed as a “computer virus”, there are actually different types of malware. Here are just some of the most common ones along with a description of what they can do to your computer:
• Adware: Displays annoying ads but is not as dangerous as other types of malware.
• Spyware: Spies on you by tracking what you do on your computer.
• Virus: A destructive and contagious program that transfers itself from one computer to another through user actions, usually by sharing files.
• Worm: Like a virus but doesn’t require user interaction. It can spread on its own.
• Trojan: Pretends to be harmless at first but eventually corrupts your data.
• Ransomware: Locks your data in exchange for money.
There are lots of symptoms which could indicate that your computer is infected by a malicious software. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s best to give us a call so that we can clean your computer right away.
• Sudden crashes
• Slow system
• Unusual hard drive activity
• Pop up windows
• Unusual alerts
• Lost/corrupted programs
• Unusual network activity
• Malfunctioning emails
• Blacklisted IP address
• Disabled antivirus
Although observing these symptoms does not automatically mean that your computer is infected, it is still best to have an expert take a look at your machine to see what is causing these symptoms.
How To Protect Your Computer Against Malware
Nowadays, it can be difficult to keep your computer safe from malware. Even with the best antivirus software, there is still a chance that your computer might be infected. To help you avoid this, we’ve gathered the best tips you can follow in order to keep your computer free of malware:
• Keep all your programs up to date. It is important to keep all your programs up to date to make sure that each program’s security measures are up to date as well. You can update the programs manually or allow your programs to auto-update.
• Don’t click on e-mail links. Always verify the sender of an e-mail before clicking on anything.
• Use antivirus software. You can easily google free antivirus software for your computer. After downloading and installing the software, make sure it is activated.
• Backup your files. When worst comes to worst, it’s always best to have a backup of your files. You can backup your files manually to an external hard drive regularly or use an online back up service such as Google Drive or DropBox. You can also manually back up your files on cloud storages if you prefer.
• Use a strong password. The more complex your password is, the harder it is to hack into your files. There are numerous tips on the Internet on how to create a strong password.
• Use a firewall. The combination of an antivirus and a firewall will decrease the risks of your computer being compromised. Just make sure your built-in firewall is enabled.
• Perform downloads cautiously. Make sure all your browser’s security settings are enabled and always verify the sources of your downloads.
• Use a pop-up blocker. Pop-ups usually lead to malicious sites that may cause damage on your computer. Use a pop-up blocker to avoid accidentally clicking on a malicious pop-up.
If you think your computer has been infected by a malicious software despite following all these tips, it’s best to call an expert to perform a malware removal on your computer. Give us a call and we will be right at your service!
It’s best to leave the malware removal process to the experts to make sure that all traces of malicious software are removed.
Our experts have tons of experience on malware extraction and are very happy to disinfect your computer for you.
For more information on malware removal, give us a call and we will discuss the best setup for you right away!